A naturopathic approach to immune support.
Prevention is better than cure.
The best naturopathic approach to support your immune system during a pandemic, before and during winter is to focus on taking nutritional and herbal medicines which strengthen the immune system and help with increasing your defences.
There are many evidence based herbs and nutrients which have been well researched and are know to reduce the duration and severity of infections as well as boost your immune capacity.
Before supplementation, your best prevention to keep your immunity strong and healthy is to ensure you have a great diet full of fresh fruit and vegetables, drink around 2 litres of water a day, exercise regularly, sleep more than 7 hours a night and reduce your stress.
If you want to improve your body functions and help your immune system to be strong these are the best evidence based natural medicines you can take.
Nutrients and Herbs to consider:
- Vitamin C – long known as a strong immune supporter and enhancer of epithelial barrier function against pathogens
- Zinc – is crucial for normal development and function of cells mediating innate immunity, neutrophils, and Natural Killer cells.
- Vitamin A – increases adaptive immune response and increases T-cell proliferation
- Vitamin D – decreases inflammation and stimulates activity of our defensive immune cells
- Echinacea – stimulates immune system function, most applicable when and infection arises
- Astragalus – increases production of white blood cells, boosts resilience to infection
- Reishi and medicinal mushrooms – boost immune function and have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects
To ensure you get the best quality support its always best practice to book a consultation with your Naturopath so they can guide you to the most appropriate nutritional and herbal medicines for you.
If you would like to work with me I am available either in clinic or online via our telehealth appointments.
I look forward to seeing you soon.